The Catholic University of America

Tax Reporting

Canadian Students
Resources and Links for Education Tax Credits and Deductions
Frequently Asked Questions



Form 1098-T is mailed for the University no later than January 31 and is sent to the student's home address as listed in Cardinal Station.  This form can also be accessed via the website. Forms for the prior year can also be accessed via this website.  To access your 1098t via this site, enter the below information when prompted.  Please note that you will be prompted to change your password when you first log into the site.

  • Site ID: 11469
  • User Name: <your CUA student ID>
  • Password: <last 4 digits of your SSN>

The information reported on the 1098t form reflects the calendar year in which items are billed or credited to a student’s account, regardless of the term(s) to which these amounts are associated. The 1098-T form is not the definitive supporting document for a taxpayer's return and is not proof of payments towards a student's account. Students and parents should use their own financial records, including their CUA billing statements, to support their claim for any tax credit or education deduction. 

Students who wish to view line-item account activity for a given calendar year may do so in Cardinal Station by following the instructions available here.  This information may be helpful in determining the total amount of payments made in a specific calendar year.

While the University can provide you with information about your Form 1098-T and the activity on your student account, we cannot provide you with any tax advice or assistance in determining whether you are eligible. Please consult your tax advisor for further information about your eligibility for these tax credits as well as for the education deduction.

Further information can be obtained from Internal Revenue Service Publication 970 (Tax Benefits for Higher Education) and Form 8863 Education Credits (American Opportunity, Hope, and Lifetime Learning Credits).

Back to Top

Canadian Students

Canadian students who wish to have form TL11A Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate - University Outside Canada completed should bring the form to the Office of Enrollment Services (W200 Fr. O'Connell Hall).

The form and publications are available on the Canada Revenue Agency site:

Back to Top

Resources and Links for Education Tax Credits and Deductions

Visit these sites for more information about tax credits and deductions:

Internal Revenue Service web site:

Back to Top


Frequently Asked Questions

Why is Box 1 blank?

CUA only reports amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses. This figure appears in box 2.

Why do the amounts listed not match my charges for the academic year?

The 1098-T lists amounts billed and scholarships or grants posted to your account in the calendar year: January 1 – December 31.  Spring charges may be posted in December of the prior year while scholarships & grants may be posted in January. Those amounts will appear on the 1098-Ts for different years. 

How can I find out when qualified tuition & related expenses and scholarships & grants were posted to my account?

In your Cardinal Station Student Center, click the Account Activity link.  In the View By section enter January 1 in the From box and December 31 in the To box for the year you are reviewing. Click the GO button.  Click View All in the Transactions section.

Why aren’t all charges posted on my student account in Cardinal Station included in Box 2 of my 1098T?

Only qualified tuition and related expenses are posted in box 2. Charges such as housing & meal plans, activities fees, health services fees, etc. are not qualified tuition and related expenses as defined by IRS regulations.

I was enrolled in the spring term but did not receive a 1098T for that year. Why not?

Review your account activity in Cardinal Station. The spring qualified tuition and related expenses for that spring semester were posted to your account in the prior calendar year so were included on the prior year’s 1098T.

I graduated from the University last spring.  Why did I not receive a 1098-T form?
Institutions have the option of reporting either payments received or qualified charges applied to the account during the calendar year.  The Catholic University of America reports on the basis of charges applied to the student's account.  Charges for students who register in the fall for the coming spring term are reported in the calendar year of the fall term when enrollment activity took place, not the calendar year in which the spring term falls.  The data you are looking for is on last year's 1098-T form.

I received a 1098-T but would like to have more detailed information.
If you wish to have a detailed statement of your account, please log into Cardinal Station and follow the instructions at

I am an international student; can I claim the tax credits?
International students are not eligible for the tax credits.

I was enrolled in terms after Spring last calendar year, but did not receive a 1098-T and think that I should have; how do I obtain a form?
Please log on to find out if a form was generated for you; if so, you can download it.

If a form was not generated for you please send an e-mail inquiry to the Office of Enrollment Services providing your full name and CUA ID number and current address. A form can be prepared within a week.

The information on my 1098-T does not seem correct; can I obtain a corrected form?
Please send an e-mail inquiry to the Office of Enrollment Services.  If the information on the form is incorrect, an amended form can be prepared within a week.

Back to Top


Form 8863 (PDF) Education Credits (American Opportunity, Hope, and Lifetime Learning Credits)